Since the weather is getting colder and colder, it’s just about the time to enjoy a mug of warm mulled wine. Grab a bottle of your favorite Grovedale red wines and a few spices and you’re just about ready to make it. Mulled wine is associated with good health, warmth, and happiness, so it’s perfect for this holiday season. Enjoy a mug with friends and family or just cozy up on your couch and enjoy one alone. We found a great recipe with easy instructions. Just follow along and enjoy!
- 1 bottle of your favorite Grovedale red wine
- 1/4 cup brandy (or orange liqueur)
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds (also peeled, if you would like a less-bitter drink)
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar, honey, or maple syrup to taste (or your desired sweetener)
- optional garnishes: citrus slices (orange, lemon and/or lime), extra cinnamon sticks, extra star anise
- Combine ingredients. Add wine, brandy, orange slices, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, and 2 tablespoons sweetener to a large saucepan. Stir briefly to combine.
- Simmer. Cook the mulled wine on medium-high heat until it just barely reaches a simmer. (Avoid letting it bubble — you don’t want to boil off the alcohol.) Reduce heat to low, cover, and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Strain. Using a fine mesh strainer, remove and discard the orange slices, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and star anise. Give the mulled wine a taste, and stir in extra sweetener if needed.
- Serve. Serve in a mug and enjoy!